Canadian Major Gifts & Capital Campaign Fundraiser (Contract Services)
The Western New York Public Broadcasting Association is a nonprofit corporation that serves the educational, cultural and informational needs of communities in Western New York and Southern Ontario through the operation of public television and radio stations and the provision of public television and radio programming and outreach activities. WNED-TV is the PBS member television station located in Buffalo, New York, United States. Broadcasting since 1953, it consistently ranks among the most-watched U.S. public television stations in prime time. Broadcasting draws from PBS, the BBC and American Public Television. It is a leading producer of single-topic documentaries that have been seen by millions of viewers across the continent, stimulating cultural and heritage tourism to the Buffalo/Niagara/Toronto region. WBFO-FM 88.7 is the NPR member station located in Buffalo, New York, carrying an almost entirely public news/talk format. It has the largest radio newsroom staff in the Buffalo/Niagara region. Airing since 1959, in addition to extensive local and regional journalism, WBFO 88.7 also features the best of public radio from NPR, PRI, the BBC and American Public Media. Classical 94.5 WNED is a 24-hour classical music service located in Buffalo, New York broadcasting the best of regional, national, and international classical music. Established in 1960, the station harbors an ongoing broadcast and production relationship with the Grammy award-winning Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.
WNED | WBFO Capital Campaign Background:
Pursuant to a new comprehensive Feasibility Study, WNED | WBFO launched a $17 million Capital Campaign, Giving Back Looking Forward. As a result, WNED | WBFO is soliciting interest from among Major Gifts Fundraisers who will focus primary attention on the Southern Ontario region (with a key focus on Toronto). Sixty three per cent of our overall membership comes from Southern Ontario, and this Major Gifts Fundraiser will cultivate, upgrade, and nurture long lasting partnerships. The work has begun in the form of contributions through the Central Canada Public Television Association (CCPTA), whose mission is to advance education through the production, distribution, and promotion of non-commercial television and radio programs, films and communications that are educational in nature. This fundraising is targeted for WNED-TV productions (i.e. The War of 1812, The Klondike Gold Rush, and Toronto’s First Family of Theatre).
The inclusion of major campaign gifts from Canadian supporters is a key component to the success of our Giving Back Looking Forward Capital Campaign and the station’s future core operations. Hence, this fundraiser for our Southern Ontario region is clearly an important role for the station. The need incorporates both management of the Capital Campaign from the Canadian side of the border (working in conjunction with Canadian Campaign Chair and Cabinet), AND a focus on major gift cultivation, upgrades, and overall growth of the major donor member program in Canada on an annual basis. As a natural flow and progression, the candidate would also be a core member of the Capital Campaign team in the U.S.
Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Sustain and grow top-level ($20,000+) individual donors. This includes developing print materials, identifying and cultivating prospects, stewardship of current major donors, setting up meetings with various WNED | WBFO personnel, and managing all communications.
- Work with Canadian Capital Campaign Chair and cabinet members to launch and secure Campaign gifts. The expectation is for $5 million (of the overall $17 million) to come from the Canadian marketplace.
- Work with the U.S. Capital Campaign team as liaison for Canadian activities.
- Responsible for maintaining (Canadian) major gift & planned giving budget. Coordinate Canadian efforts with WNY staff, specifically the Senior Director, Foundations & Community Development and Director, Leadership Circle and Founder’s Society.
Letters of interest should include information about the following:
- Demonstrated successful fundraising experience working with major donors
- Evidence of a powerful professional network with ability to establish/nurture connections with Canadian influencers representing diverse backgrounds, professions and philanthropic interests
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to assess operational effectiveness
- Financial acumen
- Payment or fee requirements
Proposals with detailed information should be sent to
WNED | WBFO
Buffalo, NY 14240
WNED | WBFO is an Equal Opportunity Enterprise committed to excellence through diversity.